What is Preposition of Position in English Grammar
Hello dear students, I hope you are all good and going well with your studies. In this post you are going to learn that what is preposition of position, after going through this whole lecture, you will know another type of preposition in this post. So keep in touch with this post and also visit our previous lecture on this website.
Preposition of Position
Following is the list of prepositions of preposition :
- Before and Behind
What is Use of Preposition of Position “AT” and “IN” in Sentence
- “At” is used for small places such as colony, village, home, restaurant, hospital etc.
- “At”is also used in one dimensional form such as some is living in city (but he is only living in that city).
- Rebecca lives at Defense Colony
Rule for Preposition “IN”
- “In” is used for big places such as City, Country, home, restaurant, hospital etc.
- “In” is also used in two-dimensional form such as some is living in the city and work there (it is covering two dimension).
- She Lives in Madrid
Use of Preposition “ON” in Sentence
“On” is used for indicating proximity and position above or outside.
- The jug is on the table.
- She sat on the bench.
Use of Preposition “Above” and “Below” in Sentence
These prepositions are used to indicate the levels.
- The Fighter jet is flying above the clouds.
- Her expenditure is above her income.
- The Oil is flowing above the dangerous level.
- I placed the lamp below the table.
- We could see the setting sun going below.
Use of Preposition “Between” in Sentence
Preposition “between” is used to denote something or someone in the middle of two person or things.
- Distribute these oranges between the two girls.
- Between Jennifer and Julia.
Remember we cannot say like:
- There is a friendship between three boys. (it’s wrong because it’s between three persons not two).
What is Use of Preposition of Position “Among/Amongst/Amid and Amidst” in Sentence
- The above four prepositions are used to referring more than two person or things.
- Among and amid are used interchangeably and when their object is of consonant sound.
- Amongst and amidst are used interchangeably and when their object is vowel sound.
- She Distribute these oranges among the four girls. (Whenever the come after the above four preposition we use among).
- Madam donated the old clothes amongst (Here object of preposition “Us” is start with sound of vowel).
- Elon is sitting amid his friends. (Here object of preposition “Friends” is start with sound of consonant).
- Sumbal is sitting amidst (“Us” is starting vowel sound)